When we repent of sin, God forgives us. If you have had an abortion, Jesus is waiting to take you into his arms in forgiveness and love.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Psalm 119:10 and Choices

Psalm 119:10 - In this, the longest Psalm in the Bible, there are many heart grabbing verses. This particular verse grabbed me in my morning devotional time,"With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments."
This is a plea which acknowledges to the Lord, first, that the writer desires to know Him in all His wisdom and glory. He longs to have that close personal relationship that we acquire when we come to know our Savior, Jesus. As I prayed and read scripture and sought the Lord with all of my heart this morning I reflected on the duality of my searches in scripture. I read trying to find answers to my own personal questions but I also read with an open ear to God's commands and desire for all mankind.
I try not to be selfish in reading scripture. God gave us His written Word as a guidebook and a manual for our lives, however, the big picture certainly involves more than what the Lord can do for each of us individually. The big picture is that it's not all about me, but it is "all about" Him!
Jesus came and presented Himself as a Savior for all mankind, including little old me! But in the scope of the universe and the vast eternity that God has created I seem to be nothing. He cared enough to die for me and every one of us, yet we are all nothing without Him. With Him we are the precious children of a King, but I imagine that I would appear microscopic if one were looking from a heavenly vantage point! Even so, Jonah found out that he couldn't hide from the Lord and Psalm 139:1 says,"O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me."
Lest we get too caught up in our royalty status as believers in Jesus Christ, let's look at the back end of Psalm 119:10 "O let me not wander from thy commandments. This was the grabber, the hook, for me this morning. As I read this I prayed, "o Lord, let me not do it MY way but Your way." I search the Lord with my whole heart, but I'm human enough to start calculating and figuring out things for myself in my own life and forgetting that I need to totally follow Him in order to receive a blessing!
Psalm 119:1 begins, "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD." Following His commandments will allow me to receive God's best for me in my life.
So how does this all relate to abortion?
One of God's laws is "Thou shalt not kill." However, in today's culture we rationalize taking the lives of the innocent. We stop following God's command to not kill and begin to follow our own ideas. This is an act of creating our own god!
When we do this, it is evidence of wavering faith in the One who set the moon and stars in the sky.
Does He know best, or do we? We can't walk on both sides of this fence. Abortion in the case of rape or incest is still wrong no matter how we try to rationalize it. If a woman in Philadelphia who was raped in the 1930's had aborted the baby conceived by that hideous act, one of my dearest childhood friends would never have been born. It was not a legal option in the late 1930's. Seventy years ago our nation did not dishonor God legally endorsing abortion.
"With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments."

No comments:

Post a Comment